Boeing revealed a 747-8 Freighter painted in the livery of the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks. The livery commemorates the team’s National Football Conference Championship and upcoming appearance in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Boeing is a sponsor of the Seattle Seahawks and has partnered with the team for more than a decade on programs in the Puget Sound area.
“The Seahawks have been an inspiration to our entire community throughout this incredible season,” said Boeing Commercial Airplanes President and CEO Ray Conner.
Boeing 747-8 Freighter
“We’re honored that we could join together two Northwest icons, the Seahawks and the 747, for this special salute from the entire Boeing team.”
This 747-8 is owned by Boeing and currently being used for flight testing. The special livery features the distinctive Seahawks logo and a “12” on the tail to salute the team’s fans. The airplane will make its first flight in its new livery on Thurs., Jan. 30.
“The 747 team is proud that one of our airplanes could be used as a tribute to the Seahawks’ success this season and a rallying cry for the team as they prepare for the Super Bowl,” said Eric Lindblad, vice president and general manager, 747 program, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.
“The partnerships we have with the Seahawks and others are making a positive difference in the communities where Boeing employees live and work. We join with all Seahawks fans in wishing the team success on Sunday.”
The Boeing 747-8 Freighter took to the skies over Washington in advance of the team’s appearance in tomorrow’s Super Bowl XLVIII.
The aircraft’s flight pattern took it past several Seattle landmarks including the Space Needle and CenturyLink Field, home of the Seahawks. The 747-8 then flew over Eastern Washington in a pattern that formed the number “12,” a salute to all Seahawks’ fans.This image is courtesy of FlightAware.com
“You may remember that we drew a ‘747’ over the continental United States during 747-8 certification flight testing,” said Boeing 747 chief pilot Mark Feuerstein,
“Although the ’12’ is smaller in scale, the pride and sense of community behind it make it feel just as big for the entire Boeing team.”
Boeing 747-8 Seahawks Livery Fun Facts
- Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson’s longest pass this season, 80 yards (240 ft.), was almost the same length as a 747-8 fuselage (243.5 ft.)
- Russell Wilson threw for 3,357 yards (10,071 ft.) this season, similar to the runway takeoff distance for a 747-8 (10,650 ft.)
- Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin can dash the full length of the 747-8 main deck, 180 ft., in less than seven seconds
- Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch can squat with 16 economy seats (30 lbs. per seat)
- A 747-8 Freighter can carry 121 million Skittles candies, or 302,400 one lb. bags
- It would take 144 747-8 passenger aircraft (Intercontinentals) to carry all the Seahawks fans in CenturyLink Field (67,000 seats)
- The 747-8 can cover the length of a football field in one second at takeoff
- Seahawks fans’ Guinness World Record for crowd noise is approximately 38 times louder than the 747-8 at departure