A step change in UAS capability has hit both maritime and aerospace systems, in the form of the RISER inspection platform.
Blue Bear engineers, in partnership with CREATEC, inspected the HMS Illustrious (R06), an aircraft carrier of the Royal Navy. The RISER system demonstrated how automated unmanned systems can safely fly inside ships for inspection. The trials were also conducted in partnership with Lloyd’s Register, and demonstrated the safe navigation and flight of the RISER system, representing a significant milestone in the development of this system.
Trials lead Dr Ian Cowling, Technical Director at Blue Bear, said “These trials successfully demonstrated the potential for this technology within such a challenging environment and it was fantastic to see the system perform but also for our partners BP and Lloyds Register to get excited by the potential of this new capability”.
Inspecting large structures, such as cargo and hangar spaces, takes significant amounts of time and is often dark, unpleasant and dangerous. The RISER system enables remote repeatable inspection and storage of the data for future interrogation. Even in difficult and light deprived areas, the RISER inspection systems allowed current and potential damage inside the ship to be identified and assessed, which could ultimately cost millions in loss of revenue whilst the ship is unused, due to inspection and repair.
Moreover, the UAS, developed between Blue Bear and CREATEC, is a highly automated system designed to operate in complex indoor environments, and perform tasks not possible with existing platforms. The system combines a rotary Unmanned Aerial System, with novel flight management and navigation systems, to address the problem of access, while improving speed and accuracy of surveys. Ultimately, this is a huge escalation in UAS capability, allowing maritime and aero systems to perform better than they ever have before.
These trials were facilitated by NCHQ as part of the Unmanned Warrior 16 activities.
- KrisFlyer Partners With Points to Expand Redemption Options for Frequent Flyer Programme - 22 , May , 2018
- THE FUTURE OF AIRPORTS AS CIVIC SPACES - 21 , May , 2018
- San Diego International Airport and Swinerton open Terminal 2 Parking Plaza - 21 , May , 2018
- Air Lease Corporation Announces Delivery of Boeing 737 MAX 8 Aircraft with Travel Service - 17 , May , 2018
- Aviation and Aerospace Consulting Veterans Celebrate Successful Launch of Alton Aviation Consultancy - 15 , May , 2018
- Spirit Airlines to Become First Ultra-Low Cost Carrier in the Americas to Offer Wi-Fi - 11 , May , 2018
- Air Lease Corporation Announces First Quarter 2018 Results - 10 , May , 2018
- PrecisionHawk Joins its Home State of North Carolina as 1 of 10 Chosen for Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Pilot Program - 10 , May , 2018
- Silver Air’s Boeing Business Jet Ready for Charter - 8 , May , 2018
- BAHAMAS TO HOST 2018 CARIBBEAN AVIATION MEETUP - 3 , May , 2018