Lufthansa is celebrating 60 years of flights from Manchester reaching new heights with passenger figures for the first four months of 2016 showing four per cent growth compared with the same period last year.
The figures were released by Christian Schindler, Lufthansa Group Regional Director for the UK & Ireland, when he visited Manchester to join in the diamond anniversary celebrations.
“This continued growth confirms the hub airlines in the Lufthansa Group (also including SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines) continue to be among the leading carriers at Manchester”, says Christian Schindler.
“We are on target to hit the one million passengers a year mark at Manchester for 2016. It proves once again that the majority of air travellers value the long standing commitment Lufthansa Group has to our North West passengers along with our reliable full service offering. Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian and Brussels Airlines will all continue to be attractive for business and leisure travellers. They cherish the option to start their travel directly at Manchester airport on one of our 91 flights a week, avoiding the longer transfers to airports in the London area. And, as always, customers can be assured of the top-notch service, the high quality and the reliability of our airline group.”
“The inaugural service started from Hamburg and then called at Düsseldorf on its way to Manchester. On leaving Manchester the Lockheed L-1049 G Super Constellation aircraft then crossed the Atlantic to Montreal and finally continued on to Chicago. Bert Trautmann, Manchester City’s German goalkeeper at the time, cut the ribbon just days before his heroic performance in the FA cup final where he played the later part of the match with a broken neck.”
Lufthansa 60 Years of flying from Manchester Airport
Passengers departing from Manchester during the 60th anniversary celebrations were entertained by a traditional German oompah band while they enjoyed Lufthansa branded cupcakes and sparkling wine.
Stephen Turner, Commercial Director for Manchester Airport, said: “I’d like to congratulate Lufthansa on reaching 60 years of operating from Manchester Airport. It’s a fantastic achievement and the airlines of the Lufthansa group continue to offer the 22 million people in our catchment area direct flights to key European cities and also great onward connectivity from their hubs at Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, Vienna and Brussels.”
“We hope that we are part of the continued growth here at Manchester Airport and celebrate many more milestones to come with us!”
The summer timetable for 2016 sees the airlines of the Lufthansa Group – Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Eurowings, Lufthansa and SWISS – offering Manchester passenger’s access to one of the most comprehensive networks of air services in the world, with 91 weekly flights that are complimented by 33 weekly flights of Eurowings, the point-to-point carrier of the Lufthansa Group. In addition passengers departing from Manchester can connect through the Frankfurt, Munich, Zurich, Vienna and Brussels hubs to 316 destinations in 101 countries (compared to 321 destinations in 103 countries in Summer 2015).
This vast range of services are further supplemented by over 18,000 codeshare flights offered in collaboration with 30 partner airlines to provide their customers with a virtually worldwide air travel network.
- EMCORE Introduces EN-150 Precision Fiber Optic Gyro-Based Inertial Measurement/Navigation Unit at Farnborough Airshow - 16 , July , 2018
- Va. Gov. Ralph Northam, Del. Kathleen Murphy, Raytheon’s Dave Wajsgras and UVA’s National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition Champions Discuss a Vision to Closing the Cyber Talent Gap - 12 , July , 2018
- 비스타젯, 2018년 상반기 회원 수 32% 증가에 힘입어 높은 취항 건수 기록 - 12 , July , 2018
- ビスタジェット、2018年上半期にメンバー数が32%伸び、フライト回数の記録を刷新 - 12 , July , 2018
- Woodward Schedules Fiscal 2018 Third Quarter Earnings Release and Conference Call - 11 , July , 2018
- Growing and Growing… More Caribbean Routes Added to Spirit’s Growing International Network - 11 , July , 2018
- VistaJet Operates Record Number of Flights as Members Increase by 32% in First Half of 2018 - 11 , July , 2018
- Air Unlimited Expands Giving Consumers New Travel Options and World-Class Experiences - 10 , July , 2018
- Air Lease Corporation Activity Update for the Second Quarter of 2018 - 10 , July , 2018
- Airbus Selects Cority™ to Streamline Global EHS Operations - 9 , July , 2018