The surge in freight volumes at Al Maktoum International at Dubai World Central (DWC) has continued in the third quarter of 2014 with triple-digit growth, according to traffic report issued today by operator Dubai Airports.
Air Cargo Grows at Dubai
Dubai World Central recorded 243,284 tonnes of freight in the third quarter, a sharp increase of 462.5 per cent from 43,252 tonnes recorded during the corresponding period in 2013. The spike, fuelled mainly by the completion of the shift of all pure cargo flights, including Emirates SkyCargo, from Dubai International to Al Maktoum International (DWC) in May this year. The year to date cargo in September reached 519,851 tonnes, up 255.6 per cent from 146,181 tonnes recorded during the first nine months of 2013.
Passenger numbers totaled 155,997 in the third quarter* as a result of temporary flights operated by some passenger airlines during the runway upgrade project at Dubai International between the 1st May and 20th July. The year to date passenger traffic (Jan-Sept) totalled 734,126.
Commenting on the results, Paul Griffiths, CEO of Dubai Airports, said, “The permanent relocation of pure cargo operators to DWC as well as the influx of cargo charter flights will continue to drive the growth in freight volumes at DWC and we are working to expand our facilities to accommodate the anticipated growth. We expect passenger traffic to return to Q1 levels in the fourth quarter as all temporary operations – which contributed substantially to passenger numbers this quarter – have already returned to Dubai International.”
Aircraft movements in the third quarter totaled 10,784 compared to 6,686 movements during the same period last year, an increase of 61.3 per cent. Increase in both the passenger and freight operations in recent months, year to date (Jan-Sept) aircraft movements also climbed sharply to 35,968 movements, up 112.5 per cent from 16,923 movements recorded in the first nine months of 2013.
- EMCORE Introduces EN-150 Precision Fiber Optic Gyro-Based Inertial Measurement/Navigation Unit at Farnborough Airshow - 16 , July , 2018
- Va. Gov. Ralph Northam, Del. Kathleen Murphy, Raytheon’s Dave Wajsgras and UVA’s National Collegiate Cyber Defense Competition Champions Discuss a Vision to Closing the Cyber Talent Gap - 12 , July , 2018
- 비스타젯, 2018년 상반기 회원 수 32% 증가에 힘입어 높은 취항 건수 기록 - 12 , July , 2018
- ビスタジェット、2018年上半期にメンバー数が32%伸び、フライト回数の記録を刷新 - 12 , July , 2018
- Woodward Schedules Fiscal 2018 Third Quarter Earnings Release and Conference Call - 11 , July , 2018
- Growing and Growing… More Caribbean Routes Added to Spirit’s Growing International Network - 11 , July , 2018
- VistaJet Operates Record Number of Flights as Members Increase by 32% in First Half of 2018 - 11 , July , 2018
- Air Unlimited Expands Giving Consumers New Travel Options and World-Class Experiences - 10 , July , 2018
- Air Lease Corporation Activity Update for the Second Quarter of 2018 - 10 , July , 2018
- Airbus Selects Cority™ to Streamline Global EHS Operations - 9 , July , 2018