If you like elephants then you need to pack your trunk and take a trip to Bangkok this summer to see the King’s Cup Elephant Polo tournament.
This year the Peninsula Bangkok Hotel will be sponsoring this prestigiou Elephant Polo tournament as one of its ‘thoughtful and carefully targeted’ corporate social responsibility (CSR) programmes. The tournament has raised over US$ 750,000 for projects to better the lives of Thailand’s wild and domesticated elephant population since it was first staged in 2001.
The specially created CSR programme will include bringing underprivileged children from Foundation for the Better Life of Children, the hotel’s charitable partner since 2013, to the polo tournament so they can visit the elephant exhibition and learn about elephants and their importance to Thai culture and the environment.
The Peninsula Bangkok Hotel
The hotel will enter its own team comprised of four players and, in all, 16 teams sponsored by various Thai and international corporations will compete for the cup.
While the general public are given free entry to watch the tournament and events, The Peninsula Bangkok’s sponsorship of a team will be able to offer its guests certain exclusive entitlements, including VIP passes to the most select enclosures and pitch-side seats for all the thrill of the action.
Elephant Polo Jumbo Package!
The hotel is offering a special “Jumbo Polo” guest package, which takes advantage of these privileges combined with accommodation and other benefits. The package is offered for each day of the tournament from Wednesday, 27th August to Monday, 1st September 2014 at THB 18,000 (approx £327) for two nights in a Grand Deluxe room with a glorious river view. Bookings must be made between 10th May and 25th August 2014.
All guests arriving at the hotel during this time will receive a special VIP card with an elephant emblem, while guests taking advantage of the package will receive a King’s Cup Elephant Polo Survival Kit which includes useful items such as The Peninsula Bangkok’s elephant polo t-shirt, sunscreen lotion, umbrella and refreshments.
Included in the package is round trip transfer to VR Sports Club polo field, entrance to the tournament and public areas and entitlement to VIP room amenities. Daily buffet breakfast served in River Cafe & Terrace restaurant is also included.
To help give Thailand’s much-loved remaining elephant population the rich life it deserves, The Peninsula Bangkok will also raise awareness and funds through various activities around the hotel. Special food and beverage activities supporting elephant welfare will include tasty elephant-shaped cookies, chocolates and marshmallows for sale at The Peninsula Boutique. Elephant-themed welcome amenities and kids’ amenities will be featured and The River Bar will be transformed into The Elephant Polo Lounge, featuring elephant-shaped ice carving at the bar, King’s Cup-themed tapas and speciality-themed cocktails such as Pink Elephant and Polo Fizz.
The Peninsula Spa has created a new Black Ivory Coffee Body Scrub. Black ivory coffee is naturally refined by Thai elephants at Golden Elephant Triangle Foundation in Chiang Saen, making it one of the world’s rarest and most unique coffees. Black ivory coffee beans are broken down by the elephant’s digestive enzyme, releasing an intense aromatic coffee bursting with nutrients. 8% of their sales proceeds go directly towards providing free veterinary care of Thai elephants through the Golden Elephant Triangle Foundation. The spa treatment blends fresh coffee beans into a smooth, detoxifying scrub while the caffeine helps blast away cellulite and tame wrinkles.
Elsewhere in the hotel, towels placed in rooms and around the pool during this time will be folded into elephant shapes as a decoration and reminder of the commitment the hotel feels towards the elephants.
Day One of the tournament on the 27th August comprises a training session, the grand opening parade, an exhibition game, tournament handicapping draw and mini-concerts. The 28th August sees tournament matches and exhibition games, an elephant and monk blessing ceremony, a fruit buffet for the elephants and exhibition matches. On the 29th August guests will be privy to tournament matches and exhibition games and a grand auction gala dinner.
The 30th August is Ladies’ Day with tournament matches and exhibition games, a fashion show with best-dressed prizes, exhibition games, the Moonlight EFG High Goal Jim Edwards Memorial Game, mini concerts and polo fun and games.
Finally on the 31st August, guests can enjoy exhibition games, quarter and semi-final matches, the King’s Cup Elephant Polo Grand Final 2014, the trophy presentation by a royal representative, another fruit buffet for the elephants and the tournament closing ceremony with DJ and live performances.
If you get the chance to attend the Elephant Polo do tell us what it was like!
For more information or to make a booking, contact the Reservations Department at +66 (2) 861 2388 or e-mail at email@example.com.
For the latest flight offers to Bangkok just visit the Thai Airways website here.
- Surprise winner at King’s Cup Elephant Polo Tournament (thaispasnow.wordpress.com)
- Billionaire William Heinecke Hosts Elephant Polo Tournament To Save Thailand’s Elephants (forbes.com)
- Elephant polo breaks records (ttrweekly.com)
- Air Lease Corporation Announces Lease Placement of Two Airbus A320-200neo Aircraft with SAS - 20 , June , 2018
- Air Europa SUMA Expands Partnership With Points To Enhance Loyalty Program - 19 , June , 2018
- Going Global in Orlando! Spirit Airlines Announces Major International Expansion - 14 , June , 2018
- GoFly Honors Top Designs in Development of Personal Flying Device - 14 , June , 2018
- Up, Up and Away Asheville! Spirit Airlines Brings Ultra-Low Fares for Warm Weather Getaways - 13 , June , 2018
- Going to Greensboro! Spirit Airlines Lands in the Piedmont Triad with Ultra-Low Fares - 12 , June , 2018
- Air Lease Corporation Announces Pricing of Public Offering of $500 Million of 3.875% Unsecured Senior Notes due 2023 - 12 , June , 2018
- AEROMEXICO 10th ANNIVERSARY OF ITS SHANGHAI-MEXICO CITY FLIGHT - 8 , June , 2018
- AEROMEXICO ANNOUNCES THE START OF SERVICE TO TWO NEW DESTINATIONS IN CENTRAL AMERICA AND THE CARIBBEAN - 7 , June , 2018
- More Go, Coming Right Up! Spirit Airlines Extends Schedule through February 2019 with Seven New Routes - 7 , June , 2018